Monday, December 20, 2010

The True Meaning of Christmas - Corporate Fines

When I was working one day, during the actual day-time too, I received a call from a number I didn't recognize and stupidly answered it out of sheer habit. It turned out to be some telemarketer with Bell phoning to offer me a great long distance plan and to be honest - I flipped. I kept my language clean but I relayed to them that I was on the do not call list and was not to be called - ever. She gamely persisted, in a show of reckless stupidity, and I became even more blunt that she should not be contacting me ever, and I demanded to know how they had even obtained my number in the first place (I am not a Bell subscriber) when she hung up on me, which is my personal criteria for Worst Offense Ever. I actually debated phoning their head office to complain but my cooler head prevailed and I calmed.

Today, however, is like an early Christmas present; Bell has been ordered to pay $1.3 million in damages for unauthorized phone-calls to numbers on the National Do Not Call list. True, it is only $1.3 million, but that's money they don't have anymore, and any good business is not going to continue to do things that cost them money.

It's small, it really is, but it's something, and in this increasingly expanding world it is so easy to forget that we can make a difference, that things can change, that even small people can do big things; but there it is.

No comments: